Dr. Dilmohit Singh
Pediatric Dental Surgeon
Dental bleaching or teeth whitening is a procedure that lightens the color of the tooth. Many patients wants their smile attractive and pleasing and for these aesthetic reasons more and more people have started opting for teeth whitening procedures.
Causes of Discoloration of teeth
- Discoloration due to beverages such as tea, coffee, Colas, wine.
- Tobacco use
- Poor oral hygiene
- Certain antibiotics such as Tertacyclines and Doxycycline
- Various mouthrinses
- Developmental Enamel and dentin defects
- Trauma to the teeth
- Advancing age
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Genetic causes
These Stains can broadly be classified into Extrinsic stains such as stains with beverages and Intrinsic stains such as Dental Fluorosis.
Dental bleaching may cause sensitivity of the teeth and mild gingival irritation. It may also cause gastric problems until used without knowledge.
These Stains can be removed by the patient at home or can be removed professionally at the Dental clinic. There are Various types of teeth whitening systems:
- Whitening toothpastes: Various toothpastes are available in the market that contains small amount of hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide that helps to lighten the shade of the teeth.
- Over-the-counter strips and gels: They deliver a thin layer of peroxide gel on plastic strips that are fitted onto the buccal surfaces of the teeth.
- Whitening rinses: These oral rinses contains hydrogen peroxide that reacts with the colored pigments. They can be used twice a day and offers some improvement in teeth color.
- Home Bleach: The trays are fabricated by the dentists and bleaching agent is used in the home within these trays and they are worn by the patient according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- In-Office Bleach: This system utilizes professionally applied bleaching agent in the dental clinic by the dentist. It contains higher percentage of peroxides. 35 percent of Hydrogen peroxide is most commonly used in contrast to 10-20 percent carbamide peroxide used in home based bleaching agents. After 30-60 mins of procedure there is a considerable change in teeth colour.
For more details, kindly consult your dentists at Texla Dental Hospital.